We at Smashing Ideas are very excited to be searching for a talented Sr. Visual Designer - the full title of this role is actually Sr. Visual Experience Designer.
Wait. What’s a Sr. Visual Experience Designer?
Glad you asked. Smashing Ideas is very much an evidence-based digital product design company. We are not a branding, marketing or advertising agency. We design digital product. That means we work closely with clients to turn research into insight. That insight then informs the design of successful digital products and experiences we put into market. So, our Visual Designers must intimately understand the experience they’re designing for in order to do it well. At Smashing Ideas, we are all designing experiences.
That said, the right person for this role will be, first and foremost, passionate about visual design. Sure, you need to have a very good understanding of how UX design and interaction design plays a role in what you do, but you’re crazy about fonts, color, design systems, photography, illustration, video and iconography and you can design beautiful screens.
At Smashing Ideas, collaboration is at the heart of our success. As a Sr. Visual Experience Designer, you’ll be responsible for brainstorming creative concepts with internal teams and client teams, developing original design concepts and design systems, as well as executing designs based on established style & brand guidelines.
- Lead design solutions for one or more projects on one or more platforms or screens. Much of our work is for mobile screens, but also for proprietary screens (think IoT) and responsive web.
- Work with clients directly and via project managers.
- Present concepts and work internally and to clients.
- Proactively research competitive products to inform your solutions.
- Create style guides and work with Creative Directors, Designers and UX Designers to realize solutions.
- Develop detailed design specs for production.
- Oversee and mentor more junior design team members.
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented.
- 5-7+ years of visual design experience.
- A compelling and relevant online portfolio.
- Highly collaborative. Not a sole-contributor. Work closely with UX and development teams to ensure that designs are implemented.
- Understanding of mobile and web best practices.
- Lean and efficient. You don’t agonize over pixels until the time is right. You create just enough to communicate the right amount at the right time.
- Proactive and self-driven. You don’t wait. You seek out the information you need and look for help from colleagues when needed.
- Strong conceptual thinking. You have a POV and you aren’t afraid to share it.
- Strong critical thinking. Design is problem solving and art. You can solve problems.
- Very good communicator with internal teams as well as with clients.
- A great attitude. We value our creative talent very much, but our culture of respect and collaboration even more. Be nice. Be positive. Be a team player. We're about the good feels.
- Expert in relevant software tools. It would be nice if Sketch and proto.io were two of those tools, but we’re glad to ramp you up too.
- You know the best practices, the trends and what’s relevant, but are always looking to bring something new and exceptional to the experience you’re designing.
- You understand the importance of visual design as part of an experience from both a human-centered and business perspective.
* Smashing Ideas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
** This is an onsite position in our beautiful Seattle, WA office. This is not a Telecommute/Remote Work position.